Tuesday, February 9, 2016

New Year Resolutions



It is that time of year again. If you think it is too late to start talking about New Year Resolutions in mid February, don't forget that this is the Chinese New Year. Besides, resolutions should be an all year thing. There is no good reason to only make an effort to achieve a personal goal or two at the beginning of a new year.


Almost everyone resolves to get healthier, lose weight, exercise, drink more water. How long does it last? I think that depends on how much money you invest and how much you really want it. If you join a gym and pay a big fat membership fee, it is very difficult to let that resolution slide, at least for about 6 weeks.

Here are some interesting statistics, from StatisticBrain.com:

  • Resolution maintained through first week: 75%
  • Past two weeks 71%
  • Past one month 64%
  • Past six months 46%

And what is the number one resolution? Yes, Lose Weight. And, according to wikipedia, the most common reason for participants failing their New Year's Resolutions was setting themselves unrealistic goals (35%), 33% didn't keep track of their progress and 23% forgot about it.




Of course, if you want it badly enough you will make it happen. The trick is not to make resolutions just for the sake of it, give the matter thought and only resolve to make changes that are realistic and achievable.

This year I joined the masses and resolved to lose that weight, again. Yes, I have tried and failed many times, and tried and succeeded just a few times.


The one thing I learnt from my attempts futile and effective, I need to be held accountable, not just to myself. I need someone else to look at the scales with me at least once a week.

Other things that keep me on track are:

  • If it costs money - I absolutely hate waste of any kind, and wasting money is just not acceptable. 
  • I need the support of those with whom I live - that is very important, if I feel that I am inconveniencing my husband it makes it much harder.
  • Not only do I need to know that I am not inconveniencing him, I need a cheer leader, someone to keep me motivated as the ounces very slowly drop off. Because that is the hardest, half a pound at a time for all that struggle.
  • I need to get into the right state of mind, be mentally prepared.
However, I think I have found a diet that will not only work, but will continue to work after I have finally achieved my goal weight, that is, will keep me there and prevent me from piling it all back on again.

The Ideal Protein Diet - it covers many of the requirements. It definitely costs money, my husband recommended it, so his support is already there. I get to weigh in every week and it is convenient as I pass the door of the clinic I attend on my why home from work.


Now that I have made my resolution public, I absolutely cannot abandon it - I will post more information after I have made some progress, but so far, so good.






No comments:

Post a Comment