Thursday, January 23, 2014

I am ready for it to be summer




I know, 105 degrees F, what is wrong with that?  I will tell you what is wrong with it, AC - Air Conditioning. As it gets hotter in Texas, Texans turn 'up' the AC and indoors it gets colder. Who would have thought that there are human species that actually like to be cold - hello? Texans!

We (here in Texas) have had a particularly unpleasant winter. So far, and I do not want to tempt fate, we have not had one of those most amazing ice storms, but it has been cold and unpleasant for longer periods than I have become used to here. I am (finally) Texan enough to actually celebrate the rain, but cold, ice, snow - NO. I can't take that. It isn't just because it is so unpleasant, which it is. But Texans don't know how to drive in the rain, sleet, ice or snow. They all seem to operate on the premise that if they pretend it is not there, then it is not there. It is downright scary driving on even just wet roads with Texans, actually, it is scary driving on dry roads with most of them. But, wet or, heaven forbid, icy roads, count me out.  I learned how to drive on ice as soon as I started learning to drive in Ireland, apparently that lesson is skipped here in Texas. (Possibly because the pretend it is not there?)

So, as the forecast predicts below freezing (about to happen) with wind, sleet (already falling in Leander) and possibly snow - plus ice on overpasses in the early morning, I think.. I have got to NOT leave the house tomorrow.

Thankfully I have a job that I can do from home, in fact, mostly I can be more efficient and put in longer hours with less stress when I work from home.

Right now at 5.25 p.m. as the front approaches, our cars are already covered in ice, and it is falling steadily, that is correct, not hail, sleet that is really icy rain. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is 65 degress F when I am ready to leave at 3.30 a.m. tomorrow morning, but I also would not be surprised to find it is 25 and covered in ice, or snow. But I do know that by the weekend it will probably be 70 again.  What a weird place.. but I love it! Next June I will be here 20 years. There is a reason I came here, and many reasons I stay. If you read my book, you would know what I am talking about.





No comments:

Post a Comment