Sunday, March 9, 2014

Thunderstorms

I have loved thunderstorms since as far back as I can remember. Is it weird to find the sound of thunder comforting?  I do, no matter where I am, but naturally, most comforting when I am warm and cosy at home.

Wiki describes thunderstorms here. That is if anyone needs a definition. I think we all know what it is. I love the thunderous, powerful noise. I am enthralled by the lightening, which always seems to flash somewhere other than the direction you are looking, and the sound of the pouring rain is just amazing.

When I first came to the US I was staggered to discover that there is such a thing as dry lightening, or, as it was referred to in Northern Michigan where I first saw it, heat lightening.

When I first arrived in Texas, having driven from Northern Michigan with two friends, we crossed the line from Arkansas to Texas in the heat of a late August afternoon, about one hundred miles later the sky turned a grayish green and in the distance thunder rumbled, within minutes I was welcomed to my new home by the a most amazing display of the first fork lightening I had ever seen. Truly I thought that fork lightening only existed in comic books, I had only ever experienced sheet lightening before this. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

For the first year after I settled in Texas, every time there was a thunderstorm, no matter what time of night it was and so often it was at night, I would get up, set a chair by the window and raise the blinds and watch in fascination until it moved on.


No comments:

Post a Comment