Saturday, April 26, 2014

Husbands


If you read my book Peeling the Onion, you will already know how I met my husband.  And if you didn't read my book, why not? It is a very cheap read and well worth it. Even cheaper if you have a Kindle, and if you don't, why not?

Anyway, where was I? right.. my husband. Ever since I was a small child (as opposed to a small adult which I now am) I was obsessed with cowboys, the Wild West, and all things Texan. I absorbed Western Movies and my favorite hero was always the good baddie. That is the bad boy who had a heart of gold and despite his outward appearance and behavior, would never hurt anyone. In fact, went out of his way to help people and never expected or wanted any thanks for it. He was usually a little cocky and always very independent. Frequently he had a beard, and always he had a cowboy hat.


My very good friend Paul Neumann once told me that I had a very powerful mind and could create anything that I put my mind to. Perhaps he was correct, maybe I didn't actually create my husband, but I clearly created our ability to meet by all the steps I took to end up in Texas, and then finding a means to actually meet up with him once I got here (again read my book if you want to know how I did all that).


I am not saying that he is perfect, and he would be the first person to correct me if I did say that, but he is perfect for me.

What made me jump this train of thought I hear you ask? Well, 5 weeks ago I had an operation on my foot. I had two hammer toes corrected (see this blog post for more info if you need it) and currently (as I write) I am still hobbling around with a pin in two toes, and a foot in a surgical shoe, not easy to walk, let alone navigate stairs. So, Friday afternoon I came home from work and set about starting my end of week chores, the laundry comes first. I went upstairs to get the laundry basket and bring it down to the laundry room to discover he (the good baddie) had done that - he is not a morning person, and he leaves the house after me, but still before 6 a.m.  but he had thought to bring the laundry downstairs knowing that I would have to do it, and worrying about my ability to get downstairs, with a full laundry basket and a gimpy foot. It is good to take a step back every so often and take stock of the silver linings in your life. It is so easy to take them for granted.

This man treats my children as his own, considers their children as his grandchildren and they all love him for it, but not as much as I do. Apart from that, if you needed any more convincing, he does so many little things that make my life easier. He fuels and washes my car as and when it needs it, and he helps with all of the household chores and so much more. This is one of my favority photos of him.

He regularly buys me flowers and he writes me poetry. Here are just a few of the poems he wrote for me. There are many more.







No comments:

Post a Comment