Sunday, April 27, 2014

It's all about the pill



Or, I should say, my Sunday morning schedule is now all about the pill. Now that I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis, in my spine, I have to take one little pill once a week. I need to take that on an empty stomach, so first thing in the morning, with a full glass of water. I must not eat or drink anything but water and I must stay upright for at least 30 minutes after taking the pill.






I chose Sunday to be the pill day because I can do my ironing during that 30 minutes of uprightness. Which reminds me I did trade my temporary fix to my ironing problems for the permanent flexible cord holder, and it works great.



Once my foot has healed and the pins are removed I can be upright for 30 minutes while I walk, either on my treadmill or outside.

I do prefer to walk outside in the early morning, but even more so, I love to run. Actually, that is probably a bit of an exaggeration, it is the exercise that I dislike the least and I quite enjoy it, certainly I feel good when it is over. But I have not been able to run in a long time unfortunately. I have mentioned more than once I believe, that a knee injury and subsequent knee pain has prevented me from running. The various surgeries on my foot, intended to solve the knee issues, have prevented me from working out for the best part of a year and still my knee prevents me from running. Walking is still an option however (when the pins come out) and I will just have to learn to like it. I guess I need patience, or a walking companion. Patience is the most likely.

Luckily, silver linings abound as always.

Because I am very disciplined about getting an annual physical, the deterioration in my bones is being taken care of and hopefully next year's density test will show improvements.That is the first silver lining, another is that I am forced to drink a full glass of water, always a good thing and I don't drink nearly enough water. Third, I get my ironing done early and out of the way and soon I will have a strong argument against skipping at least one early morning workout. Fourth, at least there is something that can be done to correct or control osteoporosis, not to mention detect it, this was not the case for my mother, nor my grandmother, both of whom had hip replacements. Though I guess the cloud could be seen to be that so far, they can't replace spines - and of course, getting old sucks.

And finally, number five is that I managed to get references to five of my previous blog posts in this one. Just follow the links above to see what I am talking about.


No comments:

Post a Comment