Wednesday, July 21, 2021

It's not over yet

That is, the pandemic is not over. Those of us who are vaccinated are starting to behave as though it is over, those who are not vaccinated continue to behave as though it never happened. 

It is not over and it appears to be making a comeback; due no doubt, to those who refuse to get vaccinated. I have continued to wear a mask while indoors in public places and so has my husband. Because we knew that unvaccinated people would not wear masks. If a 74 year old retired QA engineer knew that, wouldn't you think the CDC would have a clue?

I do feel the CDC removed that recommendation way too soon. It was a signal for those unbelievers to remove their masks and catch the virus; and then spread it around a bit.

From the WHO

I find it confusing that wearing a face mask has become so political. Long before the virus we often saw people on news reports from places like Tokyo or Beijing wearing face masks to protect themselves from the pollution. In fact, the year before COVID-19 appeared, my mother in law started wearing a face mask to block all of the pollens that started up her allergies. No one considered that to be offensive.

I noticed recently that I, and others, refer to 'before the pandemic'- like 'before the flood' or 'before Christ' as in BP - AP. But after - AP - hasn't happened yet! 

I have eight grandchildren, four of them are under 12. That is one of the reasons why the pandemic is still very real to me.  

Two of the over 12 grandsons have a mother who is anti-vax. They are both old enough to decide for themselves fortunately, and even more fortunate is that they are both intelligent and understand the science behind vaccines. 

What I have a very hard time understanding is, the adult population who can get a free vaccination to not only protect themselves from this lethal virus, but would also help to protect those under twelves who can't get the vaccine, but can get the virus. It is not just stupid and ignorant, it is selfish and irresponsible and it is dangerous. 

In particular I would have expected the US to be on top of this. Instead a large proportion are making a global pandemic political??!! I find that really unbelievable. But I suppose, if they make religion and ethnicity political, why not pandemics and death - and vaccinations that save lives?

And while I am on my soap box, this lame excuse to party and drop the precautions, claiming 'COVID fatigue' is another sign of being totally self centered. In my opinion, the only people who can claim COVID fatigue are those who are slowly recovering from the virus, and the medical staff who have been working grueling hours to care for them.

Before I came to the US I thought of it as a very advanced country. A leader in the advancement of science. When I was growing up, a doctor who had studied or worked in the US was thought to be so much better than any other doctor. FFS - they landed a man on the moon - and brought him back home safely! Yet they can't understand that a vaccine is safer than a lethal virus? OK, I know some of them understand - it is the large number of people, including those in positions of power, who appear to miss this important point that astound, and infuriate me.

Admittedly the majority of the non-believers are in mainly red States that support the incredible racist, mysogynistic views that appear to be the new Republican mantra. I don't know how long I can continue to live here and watch a country I was so happy, and proud to adopt as my second home, become an absolute horror story. It is turning into Bizzaro world! And it seems to be getting worse.

And before you say it, I know it is not just a US thing - all over the world there are nutcases claiming the virus doesn't exist, or the vaccination is a plot by Bill Gates to do something... not quite sure what but quite clearly something he would not do because he is a fairly intelligent human being and this is NOT Bizzaro world yet, nor is it some crazy SiFi movie. I just thought the US was smarter than that. I thought the human race was smarter than that.

It is not like we have not had previous experience of the power of vaccination to fight epidemics, and in this case a pandemic. When I was a child polio was still very real, I had a friend who was paralyzed from the waist down as a result of it. My cousin walked with a stick and with great difficulty - he was lucky to be able to walk at all. I remember getting the polio vaccine when I was about 9 years old. Polio is still around in some countries but has been almost eradicated due to vaccinations!

My sister had tuberculosis when she was a teenager, and was in a sanitorium for 6 months. We were all vaccinated when she was diagnosed; I have no idea why we were not vaccinated before that. Tuberculosis was a thing in Ireland back then; it no longer is because of vaccinations, however it has still not been eradicated completely. WHO report.

Anti-Vaxxers are responsible for the resurgence in measles. In December of 2019, according to the WHO, almost 140,000 people had died worldwide from measles. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the anti-vaxxers received those childhood vaccinations themselves, but for some reason do not want their children to be equally protected - OK, I know the theory but if they themselves were vaccinated, and they do not have autism .. just saying! I would also like to point out that this crazy belief was pushed by a discredited doctor who presented fake evidence to support his search for fame, and a Playboy nude model among others!

That is so utterly unbelievable given the huge efforts put into finding vaccines and making them available. In particular the COVID-19 Vaccines! That was an amazing feat. But apparently, the speed with which it was developed is one of the things the anti-vaxxers are complaining about - never mind that it was Trump's initiative in the first place - 'Warp Speed' - the name was a mistake of course.

Sometime way in the future I hope we will be able to say AP but it is still very much with us and is still killing people every day. It is very difficult to stop myself from wishing those people who refuse to get vaccinated should suffer the consequences. After all, the more unvaccinated people who pass away from COVID, the higher percentage of vaccination we will have - eventually, and the greater protection we will have for the younger children. 

I do hope they approve the vaccine for under 12 sooner rather than later. When that happens perhaps I will be able to show a modicum of sympathy as the unvaccinated continue to get sick and die; though my heart goes out to the medical profession, at least those who got vaccinated. Perhaps there should be a rule that only unvaccinated doctors and nurses should care for unvaccinated COVID patients? Seems fair to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment