Monday, August 2, 2021

This one is boring - unless you have a blister on your toe


The holes were not in the right location 
I fully understand you if you don't want to read it. However, there just might be someone out there who could benefit from this snippet of information. Actually a couple of snippets.

What seems like a long time ago, 8 years, I had bunionectomy and hammer toe surgery on my right foot. The bunion was not giving me any problems, the hammer toe was. The surgery for the toe entailed removing the deformed joint completely and allowing the toe to heal straight by inserting a pin through the center of the bone, the full length of the toe. 

I later developed two more hammer toes on the same foot and had them corrected also, actually you can see them starting to form in this image. The first toe healed well, but slightly twisted and longer than it had been. That is, it ended up a little longer than the big toe, and the top was turned slightly towards the big toe, you can see from the photos below, before, after surgery and after healing. 

As you can see, the toe was very deformed

Here we have the toe with the pin inserted, it was totally painless having it removed

 
And almost complete healed but now longer

This one shows just how long the pin was


The impact this had was, depending on my footwear, the repaired toe tended to rub against the end of my shoes; in particular I wear rubber crocs on the dock, and on the boat and these eventually caused a large blister on the tip of my toe, in that fleshy part to the right of the nail. I didn't realize it was the crocs until the blister healed - that took a couple of weeks, and a second one in the same spot appeared.

It was painful! I put a plaster on it but that really didn't help much. I decided that perhaps a corn pad would cushion it, and while searching for something like that I discovered these! 

Amazon of course

They work really well - as soon as I put one on my toe it reduced any pressure and I was almost pain free. It is washable - just a quick squish under the tap with hand soap and it is clean.

I do need a pedicure

I won't bother getting new larger, crocs as I can just cut a small hole in the toe (of the crocs, not my foot!) where it rubs. Crocs have holes all over them anyway (see image at top of page) so that won't be an issue - besides, there are not exactly expensive fashion items.

blister after two days wearing the sleeve, pain gone.

As for the surgery - I highly recommend it. If you have a bunionectomy be prepared for a long recovery period. It sounds like it should be simple but it really is not. The hammer toe surgery is much more simple surprisingly. I did have the added issue that it was my right foot so driving in a big boot was not an option. But still worth it in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment