Thursday, May 1, 2014

Karma - What comes around goes around

My kids will tell you that one of my favorite quotes is 'trust the universe'. Now, if you read my blog regularly, you will probably know that I am not a religious person. I am not anti religion, I believe that we are responsible for our own lives and our own karma. What I do not believe is that we have a right to interfere in anyone else's karma.


I believe that it is up to each one of us to find our own way to achieve a happy and fulfilling existence and I firmly believe that if things are not going our way, if we are not happy with our lives, then we do not kneel and pray, we do not make deals with the devil nor with the universe to fix our mistakes, because where we are is entirely due to our own decisions, or worse, lack of decisions - doing nothing. Making a bad decision is better than making no decision and letting opportunity pass you by.



So, when I say trust the universe, I am really saying stop fighting your way against the tide, relax and go with the flow. If it isn't working, stop what you are doing and change direction. And keep doing that until it starts to look right and feel good. I don't believe there is only one right choice, just as there is not only one wrong one. All I am saying is why keep following the direction that is clearly not working for you? It took me a long time to figure this out (my book explains how I finally managed to).



While the concept karma originates from the belief in reincarnation, it can equally be applied to the laws of cause and effect in a singular existence.
kar·ma
ˈnoun
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
informal
destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.
Origin
from Sanskrit karman ‘action, effect, fate.’
According to Deepak Chopra
What is Karma? Karma simply means action. Every action has consequences. Karma creates the future, but it is also an echo from the past, conditions our soul through memory, desire and imagination.

I do believe that ever action has a consequence. Sooner or later everything you do will come back, either to bite you in the ass or reward you, the theory of 'pay it forward'.





It is sometimes very hard to NOT want to be around to watch someone who has hurt you get that bite, but while you are waiting for that you are missing opportunities to generate your own good karma.




John Stepper has a nice post about this on his blog, and here is a link to Random Acts of Kindness stories.

Liberty Mutual had an advertisement that caught my attention, one of the very few advertisements that I actually watch, and though it is staged, it always makes me feel good.

Watch it here:

And finally, this ad from Coca Cola, this was not staged but compiled from security camera footage from around the world:



No comments:

Post a Comment